While the holiday season is a joyous time of year, it’s also (unfortunately) one of the most common times to catch a cold or the flu. It’s never fun to have to get through the holidays while being under the weather, so be proactive about staying as healthy as possible by following these tips.
1. Watch your sugar intake
While sugar is an inevitable part of the holiday festivities, it’s an immune suppressor so consuming too much can leave you more susceptible to catching a cold. Feel free to enjoy some of your favorite treats but be intentional about how much sugar you’re consuming overall.
2. Exercise regularly
Aerobic exercise increases the cells in your body that fight viruses. While it can be challenging to fit in exercise during this busy season, it’s important to prioritize it if you want to do your best to stay healthy. For those days when you can’t make it to the gym, find other ways to fit in exercise. Taking a speed walk on your lunch break and dancing while listening to holiday music at home count!
3. Get enough sleep
The quantity and quality of sleep you get each day is important for staying healthy all year long and, along with exercise, needs to be prioritized during the holidays. Aim for between seven and nine hours a night.
4. Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water and other hydrating fluids such as tea (as well as eating hydrating foods like fresh fruits) every day is another healthy habit to incorporate all year long to help you stay hydrated! If you drink more alcohol (which is not a hydrating beverage) than usual during the holidays, you’ll want to be mindful about drinking enough fluids to avoid dehydration. In addition to the amount of fluids you usually consume in a day, drink a glass of water for every holiday cocktail you have. Our traveler tea tumblers are perfect for taking your tea on the go and helping you stay hydrated throughout the day.
5. Give your immune system a boost
During this time of year, it’s especially important to do what you can to keep your immune system functioning at its optimal level. The following wellness teas, tonics, and soups can give your immune system the boost it needs to get you through the holiday season:
- The Tonic Collection – Includes Turmeric Tonic, Beet Root Tonic, and Chaga Mushroom Tonic, three superfood powder blends that are wonderful complements to a healthy lifestyle and great to add into your daily routine during the holidays.
- 7 Day Tea Cleanse – Before the holiday season begins, give yourself a healthy boost with this tea cleanse, which includes a variety of teas, spices, herbs, and botanicals to support your daily wellness.
- Ginger Turmeric Vegetable Tea Soup – This warming soup contains ginger and turmeric, a power duo with anti-inflammatory properties.
- French Onion Soup – Make this soup whenever you need a bowl of comfort for your body and soul!
- Moroccan Chickpea Soup – Made with Moroccan Spice Blend, this vegan chickpea soup is a delicious meal that’s quick to make. Enjoy it regularly throughout the holidays and the rest of the winter season to maintain your healthy eating habits.
Don’t let a cold or the flu put a damper on your holiday season this year! Although getting sick can’t always be avoided, you’ll increase your chances of enjoying a healthy holiday season by implementing these tips. But keep one or more teas from our Teas for Cold & Flu collection on hand to relieve cold and flu symptoms in the event you or a loved one happens to get sick.
Check out our tips for surviving the holidays to decrease your stress levels, which will also help you stay healthy!