Mornings can be one of the most hectic times of the day, with helping kids get to school and getting ready for work. Often times, this means breakfast can get placed at the bottom of the priority list.
But having breakfast every day is important and should be a top priority. We’re here to help you start your morning off right with some healthy options you can either prepare in advance or that only take a few minutes to make in the morning.
Why Breakfast is Important
First, we want to motivate you to prioritize breakfast if you find yourself frequently skipping this meal or grabbing fast food on the way to work. And even if you’ve got your breakfast routine down pat, it’s always good to remember just how much of an impact having – or not having – this meal can have on your day.
Here are a few reasons why it’s important to eat a healthy breakfast:
- Breakfast provides us with the energy we need to start the day off strong. If you eat the right types of foods for breakfast, you’ll be getting a variety of important nutrients including B vitamins, protein, calcium, and fiber. Research even shows that if these nutrients are missed at breakfast, they’re less likely to be compensated for throughout the rest of the day.
- Breakfast can be good for maintaining a healthy weight. Studies show that individuals who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight. Furthermore, breakfast eaters are more likely to be within their ideal weight range compared with those who skip breakfast.
- Eating breakfast restores glucose levels, an essential carbohydrate that’s needed for optimal brain function. Numerous studies have shown how eating breakfast can improve memory and concentration levels – in addition to increasing happiness, improving mood and decreasing stress levels.
Prep for Breakfast the Night Before
If your mornings are always extremely hectic and your schedule is very tight, you can still win at breakfast. You’ll just need to do a bit of planning ahead by prepping breakfast the night before. One of our favorite make-ahead breakfasts is the popular overnight oats. Whether you’ve tried overnight oats before or not, you’ll love our three delicious tea-infused versions. You’ll find these to be healthy, satisfying and so easy to make:
In addition to overnight oats, we have several other fabulous breakfast ideas you’ll love. Try these healthy, quick and easy breakfast ideas too:
- Blueberry Zucchini Breakfast Muffins – These fruit and veggie muffins deliver the perfect combination of sweet and savory and make a great grab-and-go option. These are also perfect for throwing in your kids’ lunches (and your own!) and packing for a snack.
- Cheeky Banana Smoothie Bowl – For mornings when you have a few minutes to enjoy a sit-down breakfast, you’ll want to make this smoothie bowl. Made with a combination of delicious ingredients, you’ll be in paradise with each spoonful. Blend ingredients, pour into a bowl and top with your choice of sliced fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate, granola, and more! On busy mornings, simply enjoy it as a smoothie!
- Avocado Toast – Avocado toast is always a wonderful breakfast option and there are so many flavorful variations, including our Southwest Avocado Toast, Greek Avocado Toast, and Everything Bagel Avocado Toast. Try one (or all 3) of these and feel free to mix and match ingredients to create your own.
Tea as an Alternative to Coffee
Are you an avid coffee drinker looking to decrease your coffee intake but don’t want to cut out caffeine? Teas with caffeine make a great alternative to coffee as a morning drink, offering healthy nutrients that coffee doesn’t.
There’s a wide selection of various types of tea, but black and green teas are perfect for a morning caffeine boost. One of the best morning teas is International Breakfast Tea. This classic breakfast tea is rich in flavor and contains subtle notes of chocolate, a perfect beverage to start your day.
Here’s to starting your mornings off right with healthy and delicious meals and beverages that are easy to prepare!