Ready for a tender, juicier, more flavorful holiday turkey without a ton of extra work? With just a few quick steps and a convenient seasoning blend, All-Purpose Brine Seasoning takes your turkey from ho hum to fabulous!
Scroll to the end of this post for a unique variation using tea instead of vegetable stock with your brine.
1. Thaw turkey (recommended 15 – 20 lbs) ahead of time (we recommend one day per five lbs of frozen turkey).
2. The day before the turkey will be served, combine a full package of All-Purpose Brine Seasoning and one gallon vegetable stock in a large pot. Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil.
3. Once the brown sugar from the blend is dissolved, remove pot from heat and allow brine to cool to room temperature. Pour brine into a five gallon bucket (or if the pot used for cooking is big enough, you can leave it right in the pot). Place the thawed turkey (innards removed) breast side down in brine.
4. Add ice water (typically around one gallon) until bird is fully immersed. Cover and refrigerate overnight—between 8 and 24 hours. Carefully remove bird and discard brine. Rinse well. Pat bird dry with paper towels.
6. Place bird in oven and roast at 500°F for 25 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350°F and continue baking for approximately two to three hours or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the bird reads 165°F. Keep in mind that the turkey may cook faster due to brining.
**For a fun variation, we eliminated the vegetable stock and prepared the bird brine using 1 gallon of water steeped with 4-5 TBS Blueberry Black Tea (steeping for 5-6 minutes at 212˚F). The result was delightfully DELICIOUS!**