During the holiday season, there’s nothing quite like cooking up and serving your loved ones some of the tastiest comfort food recipes. We’ve rounded up 5 of our favorites below so you can get a head start on your holiday cooking plans.
Whether you’re hosting a large family dinner, a casual gathering with friends or need a crowd-pleasing dish to bring to a potluck celebration, our comfort food recipes will not disappoint.
5 Top Comfort Food Recipes for the Holidays
1. Spiked Butterscotch Hot Cocoa
In need of a decadent beverage for your holiday cocktail party? Our Spiked Butterscotch Hot Cocoa delivers the perfect combination of butterscotch and chocolate flavors. It’s also ideal for enjoying as a nightcap – curl up on your favorite chair under a cozy blanket and blissfully sip away.
- 2-3 Tbsp. Cocoa – Dutched + additional for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. Butterscotch Crème Sugar + additional for garnish
- 1/8 tsp. Petite Sea Salt
- ½ tsp. Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1.5 oz. butterscotch schnapps
- 1 splash Irish cream
- Whipped cream
- Combine milk, Cocoa – Dutched, Butterscotch Crème Sugar, and Petite Sea Salt in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium until desired serving temperature. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract, butterscotch schnapps, and Irish cream.
- Pour into a mug. Top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with Butterscotch Crème Sugar and lightly dust with Cocoa-Dutched.
2. Easy Cheesy Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
When you need a trusted comfort food recipe that will serve (and please) a crowd, our Easy Cheesy Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese is it. Made in a slow cooker, it requires minimal effort to prepare – exactly what you need during the busy holiday season!
- 2 tsp. Mustard – Yellow Ground
- 6 Tbsp. Cheddar Cheese Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Signature Spice Blend
- 2 – 16 oz. boxes of elbow macaroni
- 4 cups shredded Colby cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 Tbsp. butter, cut into large pieces
- 3 – 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- Spray large slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, stirring well.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hrs. Be sure to check after 1½ hrs. as slow cooker times will vary. Mac & Cheese is done when the cheese is melted and elbows are cooked through.
- Serve topped with additional Signature Spice Blend (optional).
3. Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
Our Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is another slow cooker recipe that’s a winner in both the flavor and convenience departments! Made with warm and savory seasonings, this classic and tasty dish will quickly become a favorite among friends and family.
- 2 tsp. Vik’s Garlic Fix! Spice Blend
- 2 Tbsp. Thai Red Curry Spice Blend
- 1 Tbsp. Tandoori Roasting Spice Blend
- 15 Green Cardamom Pods
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 13.5 oz. Plain Greek Yogurt
- 8 oz. Tomato Paste
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Add diced onion, chicken, and olive oil to a medium pan. Sprinkle with Vik’s Garlic Fix! Spice Blend, Thai Red Curry Spice Blend, and Tandoori Roasting Rub. Toss to coat well.
- Sauté on medium heat until just browned. Remove from heat and add to slow cooker.
- Add coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and tomato paste to the slow cooker. Stir to coat chicken with mixture, then add 15 green cardamom pods. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Serve atop grain of choice and with a side of naan bread. Alternately, shred to create pulled-chicken sandwiches and serve on buns!
4. Sausage Cornbread
Sausage Cornbread works well as an appetizer and as a main dish! You’ll love the delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors.
- 2 tsp. Mariner’s Chowder Spice Blend
- ¾ tsp. Vik’s Garlic Fix! Spice Blend
- 1 Tbsp. Sweet Onion Sugar
- 2 1/2 cup of filtered water
- 2/3 cup of preferred milk
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (gluten-free optional)
- 1 cup flour (gluten-free or all-purpose)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- Ground Pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Add 1 cup of water and milk of your choice; whisk to combine and set aside.
- Cook/brown sausage in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat, breaking up larger pieces as needed.
- Add baking soda, cream of tartar, cornmeal, and flour to a medium mixing bowl. Add Mariner’s Chowder Spice Blend, Vik’s Garlic Fix! Spice Blend, and Sweet Onion Sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- When sausage is cooked, add remaining water, egg, and melted butter to the dry ingredients, mixing well, but not overmixing.
- Pour batter over browned sausage in cast iron skillet. Gently mix the sausage into the batter; smooth top of mixture and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Place skillet in pre-heated oven and bake for 25-35 minutes or until knife inserted into middle of cornbread is dry (comes out clean).
- If desired, remove cornbread from oven during the last five minutes, add shredded cheese to the top and return to oven. Remove when cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Let cornbread rest/cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut into slices (like a round cake) and enjoy!
5. French Onion Soup
Our recipe for French Onion Soup gives this classic dish an herbal flavor, thanks to the addition of Herbs de Provence, infused butter, and sautéed onions. This soup delivers rich flavor and comfort in every spoonful.
- 1 Tbsp. Herbs de Provence
- ½ tsp. Fleur de Sel Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. 4 Peppercorn Spice Blend
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (one softened)
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. cooking sherry
- 32 oz. beef broth (unsalted or low-sodium)
- 1 Tbsp. beef bouillon (or 4 bouillon cubes)
- 1 French baguette
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Swiss cheese slices (2 per serving)
- Provolone cheese slices (2 per serving)
- Add Herbs de Provence to one stick of softened butter. Mix well and set aside to infuse.*
- Cut onions into ½-inch julienne slices. In a large saucepan, sauté onions with the remaining stick of butter. Add Worcestershire sauce and cooking sherry. Continue cooking until onions are translucent.
- Add beef broth, 4 cups water, and bouillon. Add Fleur de Sel Sea Salt and 4 Peppercorn Spice Blend. Cook until hot.
- Slice the baguette into ¾-inch slices. Spread each slice with herb-infused butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Place baguette slices on an ungreased baking sheet and broil until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Using oven-safe bowls, fill each bowl to within ½-inch gap of top. Place 2 baguette slices in each soup bowl.
- Layer with 1-2 slices each of Swiss and Provolone cheeses. Sprinkle with a bit of parmesan cheese and additional Herbs de Provence if desired.
- Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Serve immediately.
*Tip: The longer you allow the butter to infuse, the stronger the flavors will be.
We’re sure your loved ones will be delighted when you deliver a gift on a plate with these foods! For additional comfort food ideas, browse more of our recipes for holiday entertaining.
Wishing you a holiday season filled with plenty of delicious food enjoyed in the company of family and friends!